Author Interview - Allen Stanfill
My guest this week is Horror Author Allen Stanfill.
Allen has a number of published horror books. His latest, Children of the Cursed, released in August of this year.
I hope you enjoy learning a little about Allen and his writing.
Thanks, Allen, for participating. Oh, and I am with you 100% on the editing.
About Writing/Books/Being an Author
1. Do you remember the first book you read that had an impact on you - in what way and what was the name of that book?
I do actually, couldn't forget it. The book was Stephen King's "IT" scared me to death. But it was in that instant I knew I wanted to be a writer. To bring out emotions in readers that was brought out in me when I read.
2. When did you first realize you wanted to write?
I would say I wanted to be writer at a very young age. My first short story was written at the age of thirteen.
3. Who is/are your favourite author(s)?
Stephen King, R.L. Stine, J. R. R. Tolkien, to name a few.
4. What is your favourite thing about writing? What is your least favourite thing about writing?
Sharing stories with others that I created is my favorite thing about writing. I'm sure you've heard this plenty of times, but I hate editing. It is the worst part about writing as far as I'm concerned.
5. Where do your ideas come from?
Everyday life. I can see something on TV or out walking my dogs and boom, there's my next book idea.
6. I’ve often found that creative people have more than one talent, what is yours?
Cooking. What can I say, I love to cook, almost as much as I like to write.
7. If you could jump inside a book for one day (as an observer) what book would it be?
Lord of the Rings.
8. When you create characters, are they completely made up or do they resemble or remind you of people you know?
I would say, a little bit of both.
9. Have you ever created a character “out of thin air” only to run into someone in real life that reminds you of that character either in personality or their features?
More than once, which I found slightly strange.
10. How do you come up with titles for your books?
I just try and think about a title that fits the story.
11. What are you working on now and can you tell us about it?
I am working on the second book to the Children Of The Cursed series. It is called The Tomb Of Carnage, let's just say the main characters learn more about themselves in this book.
12. Have you won any awards for your writing/books and if so what?
None yet, but keeping my fingers crossed.
A Little More Personal
13. What is one thing you haven’t done but would like to do?
Taking a sailboat out on the ocean, that seems like a lot of fun to me.
14. Can you tell us about an embarrassing/funny moment?
I will skip this one. Somethings are better off kept to ones self. Lol.
15. Have you ever experienced something weird you could not explain?
When I was a kid, there was this one creepy house I walked by on my way to school. It was supposed to be vacant, though I swear someone stood by the upstairs window every time I passed by. Never could figure that one out.
16. Are you superstitious? Do you have any rituals for good luck?
Most writers are as far as I know, but I can't say that I am.
17. What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten?
Snake meat, I know it sounds gross but it wasn't half bad.
18. Do you have a favourite vacation spot? Where?
I do. Yellowstone, is my favorite vacation spot.
19. Can you tell us about one of your favourite childhood memories?
Going fishing with my dad growing up has to be number one.
20. What makes you happy?
Spending time with my family and writing of course.
21. If you aren’t writing (or doing anything associated with writing), what are you doing?
Fishing, hiking, working out, things like that.
22. Have you ever met anyone famous – who?
Nope. Would make things interesting if I ever did.
My name is, Allen Stanfill. I’m the author of, The Midnight Killer. What can I say, I love to read and write books. In my spare time I enjoy working out with my wife. Also I like to go fishing, when my two kids aren’t trying to push me into the water.
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Stanfill/e/B01C10S8L4