Author Interview - David Bryant Perkins
My author interview guest this week is Author David Bryant Perkins
I hope you find his answers as interesting and what better way to answer some of them then with pictures.
Thank you, David, for being my guest this week.
About Writing/Books/Being an Author
1. Do you remember the first book you read that had an impact on you - in what way and what was the name of that book?
To Kill a Mockingbird. My brother who was a year ahead of me brought it home as required reading assignment and said it was good. It was the first book I read almost non-stop as the story and characters were so engaging.
2. When did you first realize you wanted to write?
After meeting a gentleman in the 1980’s who worked in the Nazi SS department called the Black Sun and learning how they used the occult in WII.
3. Who is/are your favourite author(s)?
John Steinbeck, Mark Twain, Aaron Sorkin (screenplays)
4. What is your favourite thing about writing? What is your least favourite thing writing?
Creating the world in which the story evolves. Deadlines.
5. Where do your ideas come from?
6. I’ve often found that creative people have more than one talent, what is yours?
Take your pick. www.davidbryantperkins.com/entertainment.php
7. If you could jump inside of a book for one day (as an observer) what book would it be?
8. When you create characters are they completely made up or do they resemble or remind you of people you know?
The historical dramas are based on actual people (via research), for thriller screenplays they are usually a composite constructions.
9. Have you ever created a character “out of thin air” only to run into someone in real life that reminds you of that character either in personality or their features?
No, thank goodness….
10. How do you come up with titles for your books?
By fashioning a combination of words that tells a story & gives insight into what the story is about and its themes.
11. What are you working on now and can you tell us about it?
Yes, a screenplay on the Qanon posts.
12. Have you won any awards for your writing/books and if so what?
A Little More Personal
12. What is one thing you haven’t done but would like to do?
Go to Jupiter.
13. Can you tell us about an embarrassing/funny moment?
Both happen constantly.
14. Have you ever experienced something weird you could not explain?
Had a dream in 1964 and seven elements of it occurred in 1972.
15. Are you superstitious? Do you have any rituals for good luck?
No, however I do believe history (and other things) repeats itself. My rituals for good luck are striving for excellence every day and injecting this attitude when the opportunity rises.
16. What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten?
Raw oysters (which I like)
17. Do you have a favourite vacation spot? Where?
Where ever I am….
18. Can you tell us about one of your favourite childhood memories?
Going on my first out of town swim meet in high school.
19. What makes you happy?
A positive outlook on life…
20. If you aren’t writing (or doing anything associated with writing), what are you doing?
Developing online instruction courses, decoding Q posts, going to film festivals.
21. Have you ever met anyone famous – who?
Lou Diamond Phillips
Cast of TURN! Producer Henry Bronchtein and Ian Kahn (George Washington)
….and several others……
If you would like to contact David, please visit his website at www.davidbryantperkins.com and go to the CONTACT page.